Skip to main content

"You Are Spartacus!" Prepping My Gladiator Arena Game


As a young teen in the early 1980s I somehow came across a copy of Avalon Hill's Gladiator (1981). I loved the gritty detail it lavished on combat, with loads of tables for determining things like hit location and collision impact results as well as finely detailed character sheets for tracking everything from specific pieces of armor to wound severity by body part. It was a wargamers' approach to simulating skirmish-level hand-to-hand combat in the sword-and-sandals era, and it had the kind of granularity that appealed to a detail-oriented boy who was excited to find a game that codified the type of fights that role-playing games dealt with in a much more abstract fashion. And it was a lot of fun to play, too, though, it required a commitment level that meant I had to master the rules and be ready to teach it to anybody I was ever going to hope to play.

(photo courtesy of Board Game Geek)
In the end I never found another occasion to crack open that box for Gladiator after the mid-1980s, and despite my fond memories of the game, it ended up getting sold in the Great Games Purge of 2007 along with about 90 percent of my accumulated games collection.

Jump ahead to 2014 to my first trip to Rome--now my favorite city in the world--and the special tour of the Colosseum my wife Ellen set up for us. It was a stirring experience, and I'll never forget following in the footsteps of past combatants though the Gladiator's Gate. It was a transportive way to enter the arena and emerge out the other side into the bright sunlight on a rebuilt section of the arena floor where countless men met their fate before roaring crowds centuries ago.

Ellen caught me in the revery of the moment.

Later, at one of the HMGS conventions I picked up a handful of loose 28mm gladiator figures from a dealer in the flea market area (they turned out to be from the Foundry Miniatures' line). It was a whim purchase, and I think I told myself that perhaps I'd explore creating a little gladiator game of some sort. Then last summer at Historicon I saw a group of guys having a great time playing a gladiator game using a new set of rues, Sons of Mars. It was an evocative set up that included the game master dripping fake blood on the sands of the arena to demarcate where players' figures had met their end. I chatted with the game master for a few minutes and learned where he had purchased the arena itself.



The seed was planted, and in the next couple of weeks I had bought my own copy of the arena. And almost as if the fates were nudging me, shortly thereafter Crusader Miniatures had a great sale on its line of gladiators, essentially marking packs of four figures down from the already cheap 6 GBP to a mere 4 GBP, which worked out to a pound a figure! I ordered one of everything they offered.

That's how I ended up with 42 gladiators that needed painted.

I had recently completed a speed painting exercise on a batch of cultists that left me emboldened to tackle a project of this volume. But what I hoped would be another speed paint is probably better characterized as a batch paint job. These 42 miniatures probably took me closer to 35-40 hours to work my way through, that is, closer to an hour a figure compared to the 30 minute average I had clocked with the more uniform cultists.

Comparing the Crusader and Foundry lines, they pair up perfectly fine. The Crusader line is a bit more uniform anatomically, mostly formidable beefy brutes, where the Foundry line has a wider variety of body types, and are probably slightly more realistically proportioned. (Neither line is cartoonishly exaggerated, as you're apt to see in a lot of fantasy figures.) The Foundry line, unlike Crusader, has gladiatrix figures, which is a nice addition. I'd really like to have more in my collection, but Foundry's figures only come in packs of six at 12 GBP, and almost all of those packs only have a single gladiatrix in the mix, making it prohibitively expensive to try to acquire more.

The Foundry models are also more detailed, with more ornamentation on things like shields and helmets. I particularly liked Foundry's shields, but some of the other details on the figures themselves thwarted my attempts to push through painting these figures as fast as I wanted, and the details sometimes felt a little fussy given how hard it would be to even notice them on the table. As a result, I would say I actually had more fun painting the Crusader Miniatures, which are a bit chunkier and easier for my middle-aged eyes and brush hand to work with.

Without further blather, here are the miniatures. I  started working on painting the arena a couple of months ago and just need to add some weathering effects on it (a completely new technique for me, so I'm a little trepidatious). Then I'm going to turn to the 40 spectators I also bought (I'm anticipating this will be more of a speed paint as 85 percent of the painting will be togas).













































In the end, the bases were a bit of an experiment with mixed results. All of the figures had integral bases. I really like basing on transparent acrylic, but I'm not at all confident in my ability to remove figures from their integral bases, so I typically end up with a compromise of trying to paint the integral bases something neutral before mounting them on the transparent round base. This time I tried gluing sand to the integral base, but it just looked too strange to my eye, so I opted to simply glue sand to the entire round base and forego the transparency I typically like. Since these figures will almost surely only ever be used on a sandy gladiatorial play surface, I don't have to worry about their bases clashing with other types of terrain. I don't particularly love the sand I used for these bases (wish it was finer and more uniformly colored), but it will be a perfect match for the sand I use on the arena floor in the game, so they will actually melt right into the game's terrain during play.

The most demoralizing part of this process is, as always, taking photographs of the miniatures and seeing them at about 10 times or more their actual size. What seems like a perfectly adequate paint job in person becomes a far messier affair seeing them enlarged on a bright, merciless monitor. But that's a part of the process I'll have to make my peace with because I'm never going to be able to paint much beyond this standard...trying to do so would see even the small pleasure I experience painting these miniatures evaporate. I love playing with painted minis in evocative settings on the tabletop, and painting these is how I get there. That said, I do feel like I get a little better and learn a bit more each time I do this.

When I get the arena finished, I'll post a bit about that, too. The goal is to have everything done before the end of the year so I can play test it a few times in order to run it at the convention I organize with my pals in the Second Saturday Scrum Club. We're hard at work on Scrum Con 2020, and registration opened earlier in November. We're already half full in terms of remaining seats available at gaming tables, and we are on a course to sell out like last year. If you're interested in attending and playing in some games, I highly encourage you to register and pick some games now rather than later.


REGISTER FOR SCRUM CON 2020 TODAY!


Addendum (1-22-2020)

Here are some Roman spectators I also painted for the Colosseum. I really pushed my speed painting to the limit and knocked these 42 figures out in about eight hours (roughly 12-13 minutes each). They’re just meant to bring some more visual interest to the game, so these will hopefully work well enough to that end. Maybe someday I’ll have a couple of spare hours to paint some eyes on these folks, but still too much left to do to finish preparing this game for February.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comments

  1. Great stuff Joe! That's quite the collection of figures 😀
    Really like your colour choices for them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivor. They're all going to end up on the table tomorrow night for the first time as I playtest the rules in preparation for Scrum Con next month!

      Delete
  2. Great looking gladiators! Suspiciously historical! Good luck with the convention!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get all the spectators?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve Barber Models. Here's a link directly to them: https://www.stevebarbermodels.com/store/Roman-Civilians-c36538651


      Delete

Post a Comment

Well-thumbed posts

Scrum Con IV: In Your Face!

The Second Saturday Scrum Club rejoined the fray on April 8, organizing and hosting Scrum Con IV in Silver Spring, Maryland. Although we ran a surprisingly successful virtual convention in 2021 that took advantage of its online format to invite all sorts of participants we couldn't have otherwise (Dirk the Dice of Grognard Files  in the UK ran a game, and I interviewed wargame/RPG historian Jon Peterson via livestream ), Scrum Con IV marked our return to an in-person format. Because  Scrum Con 2020 ducked right under the pandemic lockdown on the last weekend of February that year, we were anxious to see if anybody would remember us. Turns out any fears were misplaced...because Scrum Con sold out again this year! In fact, every in-person convention we've organized has sold out, but this year's Scrum Con IV was almost 70% sold out of its 225 badges in the very first week, a pace that frankly caught us off-guard. About a week before the show, we had sold enough badges that

Take the High Road: Making Cheap and Easy Dirt Roads

I have wanted some good roads to add to my games for a while now. My first attempt was a couple of years ago when my standards were a bit lower and I wasn't sure how much I was interested in investing in this new hobby. I bought some PDFs of cobblestone roads that I sized, printed, and glued to felt. The result was okay, but the way my laser printer  produced the roads ended up being quite reflective to the point of almost being glossy looking. The combination of glue, paper, and felt also meant the roads had a wavy consistency and almost always curled at the edges. I used them once or twice but was never happy with them. My sub-par first attempt at making roads for my games using felt strips, glue, and printed designs. You can see how shiny and how wavy and curled at the edges they turned out. I never felt good about putting them on the table for our games and eventually stopped altogether. I've been meaning to take another crack at making some roads now that I have

Candid Photos From "Conan the Barbarian" (1982)

This post is barely gaming adjacent, but the Conan stories have informed much of my fantasy gaming since my first forays into the hobby. I've seen the John Milius adaptation more times than any other movie (probably over 50 times, though most of those viewings were on VHS or HBO as a teenager). The 1982 Conan  film was the first R rated movie I saw in a movie theater (age 12). The first convention game I ever played in was one in which I played the barbarian himself. The first convention game I ever ran as game master was an adaptation of Howard's "Beyond the Black River." For good or ill, I've spent a lot of time in that fantasy world. When I stumbled on an online trove of about 400 candid photos from various sets of Conan the Barbarian shot by somebody on the crew, it was oddly visceral for me. It generated a warm feeling getting to see these actors and sets from new angles, both in character and out, in situ and behind the scenes. Seeing Sandahl Bergman, Ge

Lost Art of D&D No. 2: Games Workshop's Holmes Basic (1977)

After Games Workshop attained the license to print a co-branded edition of TSR's 1977 Dungeons & Dragons basic rules book, they set about putting their own stamp on it, designing a new cover and replacing a number of the illustrations they deemed too crudely drawn for their U.K. market.  The cover art was by John Blanche at the very start of his career as a fantasy illustrator. Blanche went on to be a mainstay at Games Workshop, producing countless illustrations for them. His fannish enthusiasm for the material--as an artist as well as a lifelong gamer--has deservedly made him a favorite over the decades. I first encountered Blanche's work in the David Day compendium, A Tolkien Bestiary (1978), to which he contributed five illustrations that sit comfortably alongside the book's chief illustrator, Ian Miller. I have a special fondness for this book, having coveted it as a child during my incipient Middle Earth fixation. My parent's procured an out-of-print copy of t

Playing with Yourself: 'Rangers of Shadow Deep' vs. 'Sellswords & Spellslingers'

As the year crawls to an end, I'm looking through this blog and noticing a couple of posts I started and never finished. This is one of them. Back in July 2019, I placed the photos on the page, jotted down a few bullet-point placeholder notes, and then never actually went back and wrote anything to post.   The post was meant to be my informal review of Rangers of Shadow Deep after my first game of it with Josh O'Conner, who set it up for us to try in his basement. I think I never finished this post because I was not very impressed with the game but I knew Josh was, and we hadn't been gaming together long enough for me to be sure my candor about the game wouldn't hurt his feelings and sour a budding gaming friendship. I consider Josh more than a gaming friend these days, and so I'll go ahead and post this with some very short notes fleshing out the bullet points I had left as a reminder for myself back in 2019 (at least the one's I can still decipher the

Chainmail: Battle of Emridy Meadows

In my imagination, Chainmail has always been that shadowy precursor to Dungeons & Dragons that I was both intrigued by yet leery of. I loved the idea of a game involving mass battles in a fantasy setting akin to those depicted in the The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings , but I also had a sense that Chainmail , released in 1971 a mere year after I was born, was likely a clunky wargame that would be too frustrating to bother mastering. It also didn't help that my first inkling of its existence was around 1980 or so when I could never dream of amassing the miniature armies needed to play out these massive conflicts. No, back then I was pretty sure Chainmail was the province of grizzled old grognards who had started wargaming before I was even born. Even after my gaming rebirth decades later in 2016, I was fine with letting the dim past remain so, and was more than content during my first couple of years back in the hobby exploring rules of a more recent vintage and managea