Skip to main content

Battle Beyond the Star Schlock

 


A subset of the Scrum Club and some of our friends met for a game on Dec. 30 to close out 2021. In addition to guests Peter M. and Mark A. (visiting from Minnesota), we were finally able to also have Dave "Zeb" Cook over to Scrum Hall (i.e., my dining room) for a game of some sort. 

Scrum Con—the convention we organize here in the DC metro area—has been lucky to include Zeb as our guest of honor since its inception in Feb. 2019, and the idea of him coming over to the house to game with us started getting bandied about not terribly long thereafter. Like so many pre-COVID plans, however, the pandemic sadly put the idea on indefinite hold. But when I bumped into Zeb at Historicon last month and we got to chatting, it seemed like we should revisit the idea of getting a game in together and settled on the week between Christmas and New Years. 

Fortunately, the Scrum Club has a handful of pretty fun games at the ready that we've prepped and run at conventions over the years, but the most impressive of them in my opinion is John Sear's Star Schlock, if for no other reason than all of the great custom miniatures John has sculpted and cast specifically for the game (and sold via his recent Kickstarter). We've been play testing and helping John refine the rules for over three years now, and I was confident it would provide a fun night of wargaming for guests Zeb, Mark, and Peter.

A total of six of us gathered for the evening, and we divided ourselves into two teams facing off against each other at the table. John has toyed from the start with ways to make the objectives asymmetrical and variable within a given game, and we used the latest iteration of that approach in this particular game. 

Zeb, Peter, and I played a combination of the planet's native inhabitants and the Astroguards deployed by the Union of Sovereign Star Systems, with a slate of objectives we could choose to pursue that ranged from protecting key features on the battlefield to claiming the bounty on some of the shady characters amongst our opponent's units. Our opponents played a gang of pirates and other intergalactic ne'er-do-wells who have landed on the planet with a variety of objectives that typically involved plundering precious resources or kidnapping diplomats stationed to the planet.

Everybody seemed to have a grand time, and as is typical of our regular Scrum Club games, we played for a couple of hours, broke for dinner, and then returned to finish the game. My wife Ellen fed us all with some homemade chili, pasta, and fresh cornbread, and also popped in as usual to take a bunch of photos.

Here's Ellen after feeding us, taking some snaps of the fun in progress.
(left to right: John S., Ellen, Zeb Cook) 

Most of the photos below are by Ellen, with a smattering contributed by John or myself (assume the worst of them are by me). Also note that the below photos do not constitute a chronological blow-by-blow reconstruction of the battle but are rather meant to provide an impression of the fun we had over the course of the evening and to show off John's great miniatures and terrain, a significant source of the pleasure to be had playing John's games.

Battle Beyond the Star Schlock

I'm starting with this photo simply because it was my favorite of the night.
(left to right: Zeb Cook, Peter M., and me, your humble scribe)


We forgot to take a bird's eye photo of the battlefield before the game started (which I typically do for this blog), but here's a close approximation sometime after the action had started.

John explaining the basics of Star Schlock to Zeb and Peter, who were first timers with these rules.



Some of my Astroguards in the distance trying to take down this tough space pirate.



The rogues gallery of the evening's skirmish.
(left to right: Mark A., Steve B., and John S.)

Some of Zeb's forces racing into the fray.

The disturbing idol in the background is an example of the strange gods the planet's native inhabitants worship, but Rod Roebuck (foreground) tried not to judge and valiantly defended their right to do so.


Some villainous drone troopers hiding in a patch of jungle, waiting for their opportunity to strike for maximum effect.

Piratical scum!



Steve B. contemplating how to make our life more difficult...and shorter!

I don't remember this bastard's name, but he was one of Mark's units and a steady pain in my ass throughout the game.

A bunch of my units charging into battle, trying to effectively close the gap between the snipers we were facing off against.

A sinister Sleazoid. There was a bounty on his head, and we aimed to claim it before the end of the game!

No surprise: Zeb latched onto the game's rules faster than anybody we've introduced it to.







Don't remember who these aliens are, but I do know we had fun shooting them up!

John S.

A bunch of the native "Beef Heads" mixing it up with the drone troopers.

Lots of action here, but I presume on the left the Sleazoid is trying to capture and kidnap the diplomat that is standing behind and being guarded by Rod Roebuck.

Cha-Cha found the highest perch in the room for a nap, the boxes of miniatures and terrain John brought.






The game uses a  fun card activation mechanic that also serves as a resource pool for additional actions and reactions throughout each turn.


Mark conferring with teammates.




One of the objectives controlled by our team, with our own Ensign Packman guarding the cargo boxes surrounding it, a prime target (and source of victory points) for the invading pirates.

These baddies are pinned down pretty well. Hopefully we eventually routed them.


John's face in the window pane reflected the evening's mood.











































The natives of the "Beef Head" tribe,  or as our enemy referred to them, "Señor Carne Cabeza."




Colonel Ering.








Mayhem and merriment in Scrum Hall...that's what I'm always hoping for.

Closing Thoughts and Parting Shots

In the end, the planet's natives and their imperial allies prevailed, and successfully fended off the space pirates, claiming a couple of outstanding bounties while we were at it. 

I don't think we've played a game of Star Schlock yet that hasn't been a lot fun, and it's encouraging to see new players enjoying it, too. It's John's passion project, and I'm glad to see how dogged he has been at moving it forward.

The highlight for me was finally getting the chance to have my friend Zeb over to the house for a wargame. I got to play in a RPG of Star Frontiers Zeb ran at the Feb. 2020 Scrum Con, but we had never had a chance to play in a miniatures game together, despite having attended many of the same conventions  (Historicon, Barrage, etc.) over the years. He expressed interest in gaming with us again, and it appears he may join in our regular Scrum Club game of Ravenfeast the next time we gather.

"If you're not going to let me play, then I'm going to sleep all over your game gear."


----------------------------------------
=======================================
----------------------------------------


Comments

  1. Great looking game!
    I am sure the statue is of the "Blessed Homer"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He expects donuts as tribute, but sadly I ate them all first.

      Delete
  2. Great looking game, nice way to see in the new year!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you, Iain! We've hit the ground running with quite a few games, despite taking most of January off to let the COVID spike here in the United States resolve itself. Hope you're getting some gaming in!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Well-thumbed posts

Scrum Con IV: In Your Face!

The Second Saturday Scrum Club rejoined the fray on April 8, organizing and hosting Scrum Con IV in Silver Spring, Maryland. Although we ran a surprisingly successful virtual convention in 2021 that took advantage of its online format to invite all sorts of participants we couldn't have otherwise (Dirk the Dice of Grognard Files  in the UK ran a game, and I interviewed wargame/RPG historian Jon Peterson via livestream ), Scrum Con IV marked our return to an in-person format. Because  Scrum Con 2020 ducked right under the pandemic lockdown on the last weekend of February that year, we were anxious to see if anybody would remember us. Turns out any fears were misplaced...because Scrum Con sold out again this year! In fact, every in-person convention we've organized has sold out, but this year's Scrum Con IV was almost 70% sold out of its 225 badges in the very first week, a pace that frankly caught us off-guard. About a week before the show, we had sold enough badges that

Take the High Road: Making Cheap and Easy Dirt Roads

I have wanted some good roads to add to my games for a while now. My first attempt was a couple of years ago when my standards were a bit lower and I wasn't sure how much I was interested in investing in this new hobby. I bought some PDFs of cobblestone roads that I sized, printed, and glued to felt. The result was okay, but the way my laser printer  produced the roads ended up being quite reflective to the point of almost being glossy looking. The combination of glue, paper, and felt also meant the roads had a wavy consistency and almost always curled at the edges. I used them once or twice but was never happy with them. My sub-par first attempt at making roads for my games using felt strips, glue, and printed designs. You can see how shiny and how wavy and curled at the edges they turned out. I never felt good about putting them on the table for our games and eventually stopped altogether. I've been meaning to take another crack at making some roads now that I have

Candid Photos From "Conan the Barbarian" (1982)

This post is barely gaming adjacent, but the Conan stories have informed much of my fantasy gaming since my first forays into the hobby. I've seen the John Milius adaptation more times than any other movie (probably over 50 times, though most of those viewings were on VHS or HBO as a teenager). The 1982 Conan  film was the first R rated movie I saw in a movie theater (age 12). The first convention game I ever played in was one in which I played the barbarian himself. The first convention game I ever ran as game master was an adaptation of Howard's "Beyond the Black River." For good or ill, I've spent a lot of time in that fantasy world. When I stumbled on an online trove of about 400 candid photos from various sets of Conan the Barbarian shot by somebody on the crew, it was oddly visceral for me. It generated a warm feeling getting to see these actors and sets from new angles, both in character and out, in situ and behind the scenes. Seeing Sandahl Bergman, Ge

Lost Art of D&D No. 2: Games Workshop's Holmes Basic (1977)

After Games Workshop attained the license to print a co-branded edition of TSR's 1977 Dungeons & Dragons basic rules book, they set about putting their own stamp on it, designing a new cover and replacing a number of the illustrations they deemed too crudely drawn for their U.K. market.  The cover art was by John Blanche at the very start of his career as a fantasy illustrator. Blanche went on to be a mainstay at Games Workshop, producing countless illustrations for them. His fannish enthusiasm for the material--as an artist as well as a lifelong gamer--has deservedly made him a favorite over the decades. I first encountered Blanche's work in the David Day compendium, A Tolkien Bestiary (1978), to which he contributed five illustrations that sit comfortably alongside the book's chief illustrator, Ian Miller. I have a special fondness for this book, having coveted it as a child during my incipient Middle Earth fixation. My parent's procured an out-of-print copy of t

Playing with Yourself: 'Rangers of Shadow Deep' vs. 'Sellswords & Spellslingers'

As the year crawls to an end, I'm looking through this blog and noticing a couple of posts I started and never finished. This is one of them. Back in July 2019, I placed the photos on the page, jotted down a few bullet-point placeholder notes, and then never actually went back and wrote anything to post.   The post was meant to be my informal review of Rangers of Shadow Deep after my first game of it with Josh O'Conner, who set it up for us to try in his basement. I think I never finished this post because I was not very impressed with the game but I knew Josh was, and we hadn't been gaming together long enough for me to be sure my candor about the game wouldn't hurt his feelings and sour a budding gaming friendship. I consider Josh more than a gaming friend these days, and so I'll go ahead and post this with some very short notes fleshing out the bullet points I had left as a reminder for myself back in 2019 (at least the one's I can still decipher the

Chainmail: Battle of Emridy Meadows

In my imagination, Chainmail has always been that shadowy precursor to Dungeons & Dragons that I was both intrigued by yet leery of. I loved the idea of a game involving mass battles in a fantasy setting akin to those depicted in the The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings , but I also had a sense that Chainmail , released in 1971 a mere year after I was born, was likely a clunky wargame that would be too frustrating to bother mastering. It also didn't help that my first inkling of its existence was around 1980 or so when I could never dream of amassing the miniature armies needed to play out these massive conflicts. No, back then I was pretty sure Chainmail was the province of grizzled old grognards who had started wargaming before I was even born. Even after my gaming rebirth decades later in 2016, I was fine with letting the dim past remain so, and was more than content during my first couple of years back in the hobby exploring rules of a more recent vintage and managea