Skip to main content

Co-operative Conan with 'Sellswords & Spellslingers'

 


In a year and half filled with dispiriting news and developments, sometimes the world whispers in your ear that not all is destined for despair.

Some of you may recall a post about my miniatures gaming guru Mar Rosquites from April 2020. It was a tribute to a friend out in San Francisco that I thought I had in all likelihood lost forever. As I recounted in that post, communications with Mar had ended abruptly, with the months of silence eventually broken by a cousin who contacted me to say that Mar had had a "stroke" and had lost much of his vision. 

I came to learn later the reality was even worse. He had suffered from an undiagnosed heart condition that led to an aortic dissection, better described as a simultaneous stroke and heart attack in terms of how deadly and ravaging to the body it is. Most people die from the rapid internal bleeding from this literal tear that spontaneously occurs in the heart, as was the case with John Ritter back in 2003 at age 54. 

It's hard to overstate my surprise when this past June, more than a year after hearing from Mar's cousin and at least two years since my last correspondence with Mar himself, that I received an email from him from a new Gmail account. He caught me up on his recent health saga, explaining how he had not only lost much of his vision, but also much of his motor coordination, some speech, and some cognitive sharpness. He had spent more than a year in rehabilitation and therapy, slowly building back his ability to walk unassisted (albeit still slowly), and with time a fair amount of his sight began to return and the brain "fog" started to slowly dissipate.

He had recently relocated to Miami, but was looking for someplace else to settle for the next stretch of his journey. I was delighted when he chose the Washington, D.C. metro area, moving here in June. Until now, my friendship with Mar had been a long-distance one, but now we'd have a chance to actually meet in person and even game together. I always loved reading about Mar's games on his blog over the years, and knew he was a kindred spirit in this regard.

When I invited him over to the house a couple of Saturday's back for our first-ever game together, I wanted to get something on the table that I felt we could pick up quickly and was confident would be fun. I settled on my thoroughly playtested adaptation of the Conan yarn "Beyond the Black River" using my modified version of the Sellswords & Spellslingers rules. This was the first convention game I had ever run, and I've now game mastered it at several more such events. This time, though, with a smaller group of players than usual--Peter M. and Steve B. joined us for the afternoon--I ended up participating as a player, running it as a cooperative game (as the SS&SS rules are actually designed to be played).

It was the first time I got to play this game on the player side, and I had a lot of fun. The game proved just as deadly as usual (maybe even a bit more so!), with lots of casualties on the players' side. We did, however, succeed in freeing one of the two captives and getting him off to safety.

It was tremendous finally sitting at a table with my friend Mar after all of these years. He seemed to really enjoy the game and the fellowship of likeminded gamers. I'm looking forward to lots of future games with him now that he has fought his way back from the brink and lives in the area. 

I've been learning from Mar since the day I met him, and that hasn't stopped. One day on the phone recently I asked him how he was doing. "Okay," he said without much inflection. "Just 'okay'?" I gently pressed. "Given where I was 18 months ago, 'Okay' is great," he responded. That's a perspective I know I could benefit from reminding myself of.

---------------------

And now for my semi-boilerplate disclaimer: The below photos are not a recreation of the unfolding action in the game but rather a smattering of shots at various points to provide a flavor of the proceedings. These photos are mixture of ones taken by me and my wife Ellen; the inferior ones are undoubtedly by my hand. (Click any photos to enlarge.)

Beyond the Black River


Getting the table set up before the fellas come over...

Steve B. and Peter M.

Some of our characters skulking through the jungle toward the Pict's village.

The 'ghost' snake being summoned to the sacrifice...

I made a lot of custom cards and tokens for this game to help it run smoothly and be more immersive at conventions.

The man of the hour, Mar R. (left), with Peter (right).

One of my figures contending with the Swamp Devil and a horde of approaching Picts outside the village walls.

Yes, snacks must be no further away than three paces from the game table at all times.

The sabretooth has almost made it inside the village to eat one of our captive comrades in a grizzly sacrifice.

"Food for wolves."
Subotai doing his best to hold off a pack of angry wolves. 

A lot of foes spawned in rapid succession in this corner of the battlefield...fortunately the Giant Drake would set upon the monstrous Ape-Man, keeping both of them preoccupied for a while.


The next round Subotai was able to dispatch all three wolves in rapid succession.

Peter (left) and Mar (right)
Both of these gentlemen had very significant health challenges in the past year, and it was a special pleasure for me to have them both in much better health and sitting around my table for a game.

Valeria squaring off against the sabretooth tiger. She succeeded in distracting him from devouring the second captive, but she paid the ultimate price herself, alas.

"Brute" Picts (bigger and badder) I repurposed from the Conan board game.

"...then to hell with you!"

The cheetah from my gladiator game (hence the sandy base).

Attack of the Big Cats!

But of course because Mar and I went out for Mexican at Mi Rancho without me picking everything up first, Cha-Cha and Gigi took it as tacit permission to prowl the table and wreck the jungle and Pictish village. Luckily, Ellen stopped them...well, only after snapping about 30 photos of them in action. After cleaning up, I'm still missing a Pict brute. I expect to find it under a couch in the year 2025.







Finis

=======================================
====================

Comments

  1. Great photos and great that you were finally able to roll dice with Mar. What a road he's had to travel! Looking forward to meeting him across the gaming table soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, definitely looking forward to more opportunities to game with Mar. He shares the Scrum Club's core values of having a fun time over cut-throat competitiveness.

      Delete
  2. Glad to meet Mar, play a game with him, and hear about his journey. It’s always a pleasure to play a game with you and Steve. This game was one that is so well designed, so that was cool too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter! You definitely feel like one of our brothers in arms on the miniatures gaming front. Looking forward to many more games with you, friend!

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed this post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, Mike. It was a story with a happy ending...I couldn't resist sharing it! We all need some of these these days...

      Delete
  4. It is a good and wonderful thing to read about your friends and your game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lovely sentiment...thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  5. A lovely tale of gaming resurrection and a splendid looking game!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. I popped over to your blog this past week and was loving all of the great posts of late! Those dark age building you crafted turned out smashing!

      Delete
    2. We saved one sacrificee (sp) from the maws of that Sabertooth. I just realized your cats Gigi and Chacha must be descended from that fine feline we fought. Cats never forget... meals lost!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Well-thumbed posts

Take the High Road: Making Cheap and Easy Dirt Roads

I have wanted some good roads to add to my games for a while now. My first attempt was a couple of years ago when my standards were a bit lower and I wasn't sure how much I was interested in investing in this new hobby. I bought some PDFs of cobblestone roads that I sized, printed, and glued to felt. The result was okay, but the way my laser printer  produced the roads ended up being quite reflective to the point of almost being glossy looking. The combination of glue, paper, and felt also meant the roads had a wavy consistency and almost always curled at the edges. I used them once or twice but was never happy with them. My sub-par first attempt at making roads for my games using felt strips, glue, and printed designs. You can see how shiny and how wavy and curled at the edges they turned out. I never felt good about putting them on the table for our games and eventually stopped altogether. I've been meaning to take another crack at making some roads now that I have

Scrum Con IV: In Your Face!

The Second Saturday Scrum Club rejoined the fray on April 8, organizing and hosting Scrum Con IV in Silver Spring, Maryland. Although we ran a surprisingly successful virtual convention in 2021 that took advantage of its online format to invite all sorts of participants we couldn't have otherwise (Dirk the Dice of Grognard Files  in the UK ran a game, and I interviewed wargame/RPG historian Jon Peterson via livestream ), Scrum Con IV marked our return to an in-person format. Because  Scrum Con 2020 ducked right under the pandemic lockdown on the last weekend of February that year, we were anxious to see if anybody would remember us. Turns out any fears were misplaced...because Scrum Con sold out again this year! In fact, every in-person convention we've organized has sold out, but this year's Scrum Con IV was almost 70% sold out of its 225 badges in the very first week, a pace that frankly caught us off-guard. About a week before the show, we had sold enough badges that

Lost Art of D&D No. 2: Games Workshop's Holmes Basic (1977)

After Games Workshop attained the license to print a co-branded edition of TSR's 1977 Dungeons & Dragons basic rules book, they set about putting their own stamp on it, designing a new cover and replacing a number of the illustrations they deemed too crudely drawn for their U.K. market.  The cover art was by John Blanche at the very start of his career as a fantasy illustrator. Blanche went on to be a mainstay at Games Workshop, producing countless illustrations for them. His fannish enthusiasm for the material--as an artist as well as a lifelong gamer--has deservedly made him a favorite over the decades. I first encountered Blanche's work in the David Day compendium, A Tolkien Bestiary (1978), to which he contributed five illustrations that sit comfortably alongside the book's chief illustrator, Ian Miller. I have a special fondness for this book, having coveted it as a child during my incipient Middle Earth fixation. My parent's procured an out-of-print copy of t

Candid Photos From "Conan the Barbarian" (1982)

This post is barely gaming adjacent, but the Conan stories have informed much of my fantasy gaming since my first forays into the hobby. I've seen the John Milius adaptation more times than any other movie (probably over 50 times, though most of those viewings were on VHS or HBO as a teenager). The 1982 Conan  film was the first R rated movie I saw in a movie theater (age 12). The first convention game I ever played in was one in which I played the barbarian himself. The first convention game I ever ran as game master was an adaptation of Howard's "Beyond the Black River." For good or ill, I've spent a lot of time in that fantasy world. When I stumbled on an online trove of about 400 candid photos from various sets of Conan the Barbarian shot by somebody on the crew, it was oddly visceral for me. It generated a warm feeling getting to see these actors and sets from new angles, both in character and out, in situ and behind the scenes. Seeing Sandahl Bergman, Ge

Playing with Yourself: 'Rangers of Shadow Deep' vs. 'Sellswords & Spellslingers'

As the year crawls to an end, I'm looking through this blog and noticing a couple of posts I started and never finished. This is one of them. Back in July 2019, I placed the photos on the page, jotted down a few bullet-point placeholder notes, and then never actually went back and wrote anything to post.   The post was meant to be my informal review of Rangers of Shadow Deep after my first game of it with Josh O'Conner, who set it up for us to try in his basement. I think I never finished this post because I was not very impressed with the game but I knew Josh was, and we hadn't been gaming together long enough for me to be sure my candor about the game wouldn't hurt his feelings and sour a budding gaming friendship. I consider Josh more than a gaming friend these days, and so I'll go ahead and post this with some very short notes fleshing out the bullet points I had left as a reminder for myself back in 2019 (at least the one's I can still decipher the

Chainmail: Battle of Emridy Meadows

In my imagination, Chainmail has always been that shadowy precursor to Dungeons & Dragons that I was both intrigued by yet leery of. I loved the idea of a game involving mass battles in a fantasy setting akin to those depicted in the The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings , but I also had a sense that Chainmail , released in 1971 a mere year after I was born, was likely a clunky wargame that would be too frustrating to bother mastering. It also didn't help that my first inkling of its existence was around 1980 or so when I could never dream of amassing the miniature armies needed to play out these massive conflicts. No, back then I was pretty sure Chainmail was the province of grizzled old grognards who had started wargaming before I was even born. Even after my gaming rebirth decades later in 2016, I was fine with letting the dim past remain so, and was more than content during my first couple of years back in the hobby exploring rules of a more recent vintage and managea