Skip to main content

On the Bounce: Cicada-Inspired Miniatures Mayhem

Cicada-inspired madness!

The Scrum Club had its second in-person gathering in 2021, and the first with the entire group fully vaccinated. I got to see some friends in attendance who I haven't been able to hug and toss dice with in about 15 months, and it was a beautiful thing. 

We ended up with six of the nine Scrummers in attendance, and like last month, we've made it an all-day affair with back-to-back games.

GKR: Heavy Hitters

Sadly, Rich fell under the weather at the last minute and had to back out of GMing the Thieves' World role-playing game he had planned for the 1:00 p.m. slot, so I set up GKR: Heavy Hitters to keep us occupied until the main event at 4:30. 

I had played Giant Killer Robots: Heavy Hitters twice before in the past month, once with John Sears and the second time for a rare weeknight game with Josh O'Connor. I was excited to put the game through its paces with four players instead of two, and I will say it is much deadlier with the additional players. There are two ways to win the game: either be the last robot standing, or tag and claim four buildings for demolition. The previous two games had both ended with one side tagging and demolishing four buildings before his opponent, but if we hadn't run short on time this past Saturday, the four-player game was almost certainly going to be a last-mech-standing victory instead. When we pulled the plug, two of the heavy hitters had been destroyed (mine and John's), and nobody had managed to demolish more than two buildings toward that alternate path to victory.

I quite like GKR: Heavy Hitters, especially with four players. There are a lot of tactical choices to make without being a brain burner, and the Sponsor Cards bring a great amount of thematic color and unpredictability to the proceedings (I typically refer to the Sponsor Card deck as "chaos cards" because that seems to be mostly what they inject into the game...but in a good way).  

Josh has a second set of the game, and as is our club's wont, we're already looking for ways to blow it out by combining the two into a massive eight-player battle royale.

Sadly, I was just so happy to see folks and play games that I forgot to take any photos of this first game, beyond a couple when I was setting it up before everybody came over.

Gigi wants to help set everything up.

My wife Ellen trying to explain to Cha-Cha that she's not yet old enough to play this game.

Thanks to John, I got this one in-game photo, with Jared on the left and me on the right.

On the Bounce

The 4:30 slot is reserved for our customary miniatures games, and the ever enthusiastic and inventive Steve Braun wanted to make sure we honored our insect conquerors this summer by creating a cicada-inspired, Starship Trooper-influenced game. He dubbed the rules On the Bounce after a chapter in the Heinlein novel. He asked me to collaborate with him (as we had in the past on our Conan game), and we both wanted the game to have a beer-and-pretzels vibe. In all honesty, 90 percent of the game was Steve's brainchild, and I acted as a "facilitator" and sounding board for his creative spurt of ideas that consisted of a lot of cool mechanics he'd been "collecting" and looking for an opportunity to put into a game design of some sort. We spent an evening at my house a couple of weeks back, tossing ideas back and forth and trying to anticipate where the "friction" in the design might need addressed. Steve then started pulling together all of the 15mm miniatures and terrain we'd need. The amazing thing is that two weeks before game day, we had almost none of it in hand. Steve took it from zero to 60 faster than I've ever been able to. 

He typed up some rough notes, and I tried to contribute my "value add" by giving them a close read and a thorough edit to see where the holes were and what might not work as hoped, organizing them all in a quick reference sheet, and formatting all of the troop stats for easy reference at the table.

Saturday was definitely a play test, and at first it felt like we might have woefully misjudged some of the units' stats. But in retrospect, although I think there is a fair amount of tweaking that can be done to the mechanics and unit stats, it actually wasn't as lopsided as it may have initially appeared. You just had to adjust your strategy to your team's strengths and weaknesses, and those really weren't fully captured in the stat blocks. For example, once the Mobile Infantry team understood how to use the Bounce maneuver and their tactical nukes, all of the worrisome disparities in troop levels and combat or armor stats became less hobbling. 

But it sure didn't feel that way at game's start. In the initial round of play, before I even had a chance to move my squad, the bugs had wiped out nearly half my five-man squad. That was a "what the hell?!?" moment right out of the gate, but once my mobile infantry team started "bouncing" and shooting nukes--rather than trying to go head to head with the terrifying bugs--I was able to help retrieve the scenario's objective while suffering only one more casualty in my five-unit squad.

Below are some photos that my wife Ellen and I took during the game. Always presume that the good photos are hers...because they are! I'll include the sample quick reference sheet and the unit stats below, too. Also please note that I think we were just so excited to see each other again that there are as many photos of the players as the miniatures.

For the Mobile Infantry players, we had to drop three of our squads at least 18" away from the abandoned base (our objective was to retrieve its data files and then blow it up), but one of our squads could drop in anywhere on the map. Of course, we had them drop right onto the base. That squad was eventually killed, but it's NCO did get out of the door far enough with the data files that we were able to bounce to his corpse, grab them, and bounce toward the excavation point.

(left to right): Zach Howard, Jared Smith, John Sears, Joe Procopio, and Josh O'Connor


Steve Braun and Zach.












Quick! Everybody snap a photo!










And here is the quick reference sheet and the unit rosters...






Parting Shots and Closing Thoughts

All in all, a fun evening. We'll definitely keep working on this game, and get it to the point where we feel like running it at a convention. Steve and I both are wanting to see the Scrum Club build up a "library" of club games that we can run at conventions like our own Scrum Con and the HMGS conventions, and On the Bounce takes us one more step in that direction.


# # # # # # # # # # # #



Comments

Well-thumbed posts

Take the High Road: Making Cheap and Easy Dirt Roads

I have wanted some good roads to add to my games for a while now. My first attempt was a couple of years ago when my standards were a bit lower and I wasn't sure how much I was interested in investing in this new hobby. I bought some PDFs of cobblestone roads that I sized, printed, and glued to felt. The result was okay, but the way my laser printer  produced the roads ended up being quite reflective to the point of almost being glossy looking. The combination of glue, paper, and felt also meant the roads had a wavy consistency and almost always curled at the edges. I used them once or twice but was never happy with them. My sub-par first attempt at making roads for my games using felt strips, glue, and printed designs. You can see how shiny and how wavy and curled at the edges they turned out. I never felt good about putting them on the table for our games and eventually stopped altogether. I've been meaning to take another crack at making some roads now that I have

Scrum Con IV: In Your Face!

The Second Saturday Scrum Club rejoined the fray on April 8, organizing and hosting Scrum Con IV in Silver Spring, Maryland. Although we ran a surprisingly successful virtual convention in 2021 that took advantage of its online format to invite all sorts of participants we couldn't have otherwise (Dirk the Dice of Grognard Files  in the UK ran a game, and I interviewed wargame/RPG historian Jon Peterson via livestream ), Scrum Con IV marked our return to an in-person format. Because  Scrum Con 2020 ducked right under the pandemic lockdown on the last weekend of February that year, we were anxious to see if anybody would remember us. Turns out any fears were misplaced...because Scrum Con sold out again this year! In fact, every in-person convention we've organized has sold out, but this year's Scrum Con IV was almost 70% sold out of its 225 badges in the very first week, a pace that frankly caught us off-guard. About a week before the show, we had sold enough badges that

Lost Art of D&D No. 2: Games Workshop's Holmes Basic (1977)

After Games Workshop attained the license to print a co-branded edition of TSR's 1977 Dungeons & Dragons basic rules book, they set about putting their own stamp on it, designing a new cover and replacing a number of the illustrations they deemed too crudely drawn for their U.K. market.  The cover art was by John Blanche at the very start of his career as a fantasy illustrator. Blanche went on to be a mainstay at Games Workshop, producing countless illustrations for them. His fannish enthusiasm for the material--as an artist as well as a lifelong gamer--has deservedly made him a favorite over the decades. I first encountered Blanche's work in the David Day compendium, A Tolkien Bestiary (1978), to which he contributed five illustrations that sit comfortably alongside the book's chief illustrator, Ian Miller. I have a special fondness for this book, having coveted it as a child during my incipient Middle Earth fixation. My parent's procured an out-of-print copy of t

Candid Photos From "Conan the Barbarian" (1982)

This post is barely gaming adjacent, but the Conan stories have informed much of my fantasy gaming since my first forays into the hobby. I've seen the John Milius adaptation more times than any other movie (probably over 50 times, though most of those viewings were on VHS or HBO as a teenager). The 1982 Conan  film was the first R rated movie I saw in a movie theater (age 12). The first convention game I ever played in was one in which I played the barbarian himself. The first convention game I ever ran as game master was an adaptation of Howard's "Beyond the Black River." For good or ill, I've spent a lot of time in that fantasy world. When I stumbled on an online trove of about 400 candid photos from various sets of Conan the Barbarian shot by somebody on the crew, it was oddly visceral for me. It generated a warm feeling getting to see these actors and sets from new angles, both in character and out, in situ and behind the scenes. Seeing Sandahl Bergman, Ge

Playing with Yourself: 'Rangers of Shadow Deep' vs. 'Sellswords & Spellslingers'

As the year crawls to an end, I'm looking through this blog and noticing a couple of posts I started and never finished. This is one of them. Back in July 2019, I placed the photos on the page, jotted down a few bullet-point placeholder notes, and then never actually went back and wrote anything to post.   The post was meant to be my informal review of Rangers of Shadow Deep after my first game of it with Josh O'Conner, who set it up for us to try in his basement. I think I never finished this post because I was not very impressed with the game but I knew Josh was, and we hadn't been gaming together long enough for me to be sure my candor about the game wouldn't hurt his feelings and sour a budding gaming friendship. I consider Josh more than a gaming friend these days, and so I'll go ahead and post this with some very short notes fleshing out the bullet points I had left as a reminder for myself back in 2019 (at least the one's I can still decipher the

Chainmail: Battle of Emridy Meadows

In my imagination, Chainmail has always been that shadowy precursor to Dungeons & Dragons that I was both intrigued by yet leery of. I loved the idea of a game involving mass battles in a fantasy setting akin to those depicted in the The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings , but I also had a sense that Chainmail , released in 1971 a mere year after I was born, was likely a clunky wargame that would be too frustrating to bother mastering. It also didn't help that my first inkling of its existence was around 1980 or so when I could never dream of amassing the miniature armies needed to play out these massive conflicts. No, back then I was pretty sure Chainmail was the province of grizzled old grognards who had started wargaming before I was even born. Even after my gaming rebirth decades later in 2016, I was fine with letting the dim past remain so, and was more than content during my first couple of years back in the hobby exploring rules of a more recent vintage and managea