Skip to main content

My First Wargame: Reviving 'Revolt on Antares'



If you don't count playing Risk as a kid of nine with a bunch of adults on a camping trip, then Revolt on Antares was my first proper wargame. And it was infatuation at first sight. I had already been playing D&D for two or three years when I first clamped eyes on this game. I immediately recognized Jeff Dee's style on the cover art from his illustrations in the D&D books, and the idea of such a little box containing an entire game from D&D's publisher, TSR--"The Game Wizards," don't you know--was too enticing to pass up. 

It was spring of 1981, and my family was on vacation in the Boston area to visit some close family friends (the Dashes) who had left Dayton, Ohio a couple of years prior. They had one son a couple of years older than me (Adam) and another almost exactly my age (Benji). In retrospect they could both be kind of obnoxious at times, but when they weren't, we found ways to have fun together. Our parents were quite tight as friends, and every other Sunday we would alternate between going to the Dashes for the day or having them to our place. Coincidentally, on one of these occasions it was Adam who brought over the Holmes Basic D&D set that introduced me to the game in 1979.

The Dashes had relocated to Framingham, Massachusetts, and one night we went to the mall in their neighborhood. Outside of a game store stood a cardboard standee with cubbies filled with the new line of TSR mini-games. I'm not sure how long I looked all of them over before picking Revolt on Antares, but it retrospect it was the luck of the draw because Antares has gone on to be considered the best of the TSR mini-game line. (I've subsequently in adulthood acquired them all.)  

My "pal" Benji made fun of me for spending $4.95 of my vacation money on that "tiny little game." His mocking abated after we played it and both had a blast. 

Back in Dayton I kept playing it with childhood friends, including my best school chum, Casey Dean. I know this because my copy still has our scores and "recruitment point" tallies. I only found one occasion in adulthood to crack the game open, while on vacation at the Outer Banks with another guy who had fond childhood memories of it.

The little envelopes I kept each faction's chits in. I was a compulsive organizer even then.



Back in 2016 I had a strong pull to revive some of those things that brought me such joy as an adolescent and teenager. I dusted off the Milton Bradley game Shogun and took it to a game day gathering at my local library, and while doing so I stumbled upon Revolt on Antares again. The diminutive size, which had been such a virtue in my youth, was now clearly going to be a source of frustration for these middle-age eyes and fatter fingers. The paper map was too flimsy to lay flat any longer, and the little chits were near-impossible to read, even with reading glasses, and so small and thin as to make moving and stacking them on hexes a fun-sucking chore. I knew before I asked any of my other middle-age friends to play it with me that I would have to fix these physical limitations.

My copy from 1981, with original dice!

This set me on the path in 2016 of recreating the whole game at a size about 50% larger. Scanning 84 already loose chits was going to be a nightmare to work with on the scanner and then in Photoshop, so I ended up procuring a new, unplayed copy on eBay for about $15 with the chit sheet intact and unpunched. I set about scanning the chit sheet and map, and then spending a few hours cleaning it all up (e.g., removing fold lines from the map, refining the art on the chits to increase their contrast/readability, etc.).  

And then I got distracted and let the project sit unfinished for four more years.

Last week I remembered I had never gotten this project across the finish line, and so I ordered some Scrabble tiles from Amazon and got to work on the remaining digital restoration work necessary to print and construct this middle-age boys version of Revolt on Antares.

A couple hundred cheap Scrabble replacement tiles from Amazon.

My enlarged and "enhanced" counters (left) ended up about 50% or so larger and far more legible than the originals (right).


I simply used a glue stick, which worked better than I anticipated to affix the paper counter images to the wooden tiles.

These are going to be so much easier to pick up, stack, and move around the map board.


The enlarged map compared to the original, which is starting to show its age.

One of the things that's so lovable about the game is all of the great characters, implied plot lines/backstory, and "world building" that lurks in the rule book's scenarios and short descriptions of the factions and galactic heroes controlled by each player. The prime TSR-era art beautifully reinforces this, with characters and spacecraft designed by the likes of  Jeff Dee, Erol Otus, and Bill Willingham. I hated leaving all of this flavorful text stranded in the rule book, and to help game play and immersion I created character cards for each faction leader and each galactic hero in the game, with an even larger portrait than what appears on the chits. I also created a reference sheet for the ancient alien artifacts that can be recovered and used throughout the game to help your house's family win the battle for Imhirrhos, the ninth planet of Antares. And because I still had fuel in the crafting tank, I went ahead and cobbled together a couple of spare copies of the rule book that will hopefully keep my original from finally giving up the ghost and falling to pieces. 

Front and back of the "Leader" cards. The cards weren't something in the original game, but I thought they'd aid play and immersion in the game's world.


The "Hero" cards I created. It's good fun recruiting these characters throughout the game.

Laminated artifact sheet and a couple spare copies of the rule book for at-the-table reference.

My wife Ellen saw me working on this much of last weekend, and though she isn't a gamer, she's volunteered to play it with me this coming Friday night. Love in the time of COVID-19 is a beautiful thing.

...and if Ellen won't play, Cha-Cha has already called dibs on Messalina from House Orsini.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





Comments

  1. So great to see these "semi antique" games get back into rotation! Why is this one considered one of the better (the best?) of the tiny TSR games? I think it was one of the few I never got to try...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely back story on this old game! I look forward to hearing how the replay plans out! Oh and just fyi my castle/city walls are up on my blog if you want a look, I thought of you as my nephew said when I set them up, we should have a skirmish game through the streets!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks neat! Never heard of this though. Is it based on an existing property, game, fiction, etc.? What do the players do in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great little sci-fi-themed chit-and-hex wargame. It's not related to any other intellectual property, just a cool little game with a fun sci-fi setting that TSR published around 1981. I held onto this one and a couple of the others ("Vampyr" and "Saga") the year of the Great Games Purge of 2007. I used to own them all.

      Here's a little something from the rule book...

      "lmhirrhos, ninth planet of the star Antares, lies on the edge of Earth's Imperial Terran Empire. As the Empire grows weaker, lmirrhos boils with unrest and intrigue. The seven local ruling families (or "houses") fight for power. Some want the Terrans to leave, others need Imperial support. A few know of the Silakka, an alien race that is waiting lo invade ...

      In three different scenarios, a player can be a house leader, the Imperial Terran consul, or the leader of the Silakka aliens. Players recruit Galactic Heroes, raise armies, and use their hereditary psychic powers and ancient alien artifacts to gain control of lmir­rhos: Antares 9!

      In the basic game, the Rebel player leads his or her allies in revolt against the Terran forces and the houses that remain loyal to them. In the second game, the Terran player tries to defend himself against revolting houses in league with invading aliens, the Silakka. In the third game, Terra is neutral, while up to four players try to create the most powerful house on Imirrhos!"

      It plays fairly quickly (an hour or so), and the rules are light and fun with a lot of cool "chrome" (house leaders and galactic heroes often have special powers and/or weapons, and each house randomly gets assigned an alien artifact at the beginning of the game that remains hidden until the player springs it on his opponent.

      It was the first wargame I ever played, and I have tremendous fondness for it (obviously).

      Delete
    2. Any chance you could make the leader cards, or enlarged counter sheet file available to us?

      Delete
    3. Robert...couldn't find a way to reach out to you directly. If you scroll down the right side of the home page, you should find a contact form where you can send me your email address.

      --Joe

      Delete
  4. Thanks Joe, contact/email address sent.
    It's baconandeggs711 AT Gmail, btw.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Well-thumbed posts

Take the High Road: Making Cheap and Easy Dirt Roads

I have wanted some good roads to add to my games for a while now. My first attempt was a couple of years ago when my standards were a bit lower and I wasn't sure how much I was interested in investing in this new hobby. I bought some PDFs of cobblestone roads that I sized, printed, and glued to felt. The result was okay, but the way my laser printer  produced the roads ended up being quite reflective to the point of almost being glossy looking. The combination of glue, paper, and felt also meant the roads had a wavy consistency and almost always curled at the edges. I used them once or twice but was never happy with them. My sub-par first attempt at making roads for my games using felt strips, glue, and printed designs. You can see how shiny and how wavy and curled at the edges they turned out. I never felt good about putting them on the table for our games and eventually stopped altogether. I've been meaning to take another crack at making some roads now that I have

Scrum Con IV: In Your Face!

The Second Saturday Scrum Club rejoined the fray on April 8, organizing and hosting Scrum Con IV in Silver Spring, Maryland. Although we ran a surprisingly successful virtual convention in 2021 that took advantage of its online format to invite all sorts of participants we couldn't have otherwise (Dirk the Dice of Grognard Files  in the UK ran a game, and I interviewed wargame/RPG historian Jon Peterson via livestream ), Scrum Con IV marked our return to an in-person format. Because  Scrum Con 2020 ducked right under the pandemic lockdown on the last weekend of February that year, we were anxious to see if anybody would remember us. Turns out any fears were misplaced...because Scrum Con sold out again this year! In fact, every in-person convention we've organized has sold out, but this year's Scrum Con IV was almost 70% sold out of its 225 badges in the very first week, a pace that frankly caught us off-guard. About a week before the show, we had sold enough badges that

Lost Art of D&D No. 2: Games Workshop's Holmes Basic (1977)

After Games Workshop attained the license to print a co-branded edition of TSR's 1977 Dungeons & Dragons basic rules book, they set about putting their own stamp on it, designing a new cover and replacing a number of the illustrations they deemed too crudely drawn for their U.K. market.  The cover art was by John Blanche at the very start of his career as a fantasy illustrator. Blanche went on to be a mainstay at Games Workshop, producing countless illustrations for them. His fannish enthusiasm for the material--as an artist as well as a lifelong gamer--has deservedly made him a favorite over the decades. I first encountered Blanche's work in the David Day compendium, A Tolkien Bestiary (1978), to which he contributed five illustrations that sit comfortably alongside the book's chief illustrator, Ian Miller. I have a special fondness for this book, having coveted it as a child during my incipient Middle Earth fixation. My parent's procured an out-of-print copy of t

Candid Photos From "Conan the Barbarian" (1982)

This post is barely gaming adjacent, but the Conan stories have informed much of my fantasy gaming since my first forays into the hobby. I've seen the John Milius adaptation more times than any other movie (probably over 50 times, though most of those viewings were on VHS or HBO as a teenager). The 1982 Conan  film was the first R rated movie I saw in a movie theater (age 12). The first convention game I ever played in was one in which I played the barbarian himself. The first convention game I ever ran as game master was an adaptation of Howard's "Beyond the Black River." For good or ill, I've spent a lot of time in that fantasy world. When I stumbled on an online trove of about 400 candid photos from various sets of Conan the Barbarian shot by somebody on the crew, it was oddly visceral for me. It generated a warm feeling getting to see these actors and sets from new angles, both in character and out, in situ and behind the scenes. Seeing Sandahl Bergman, Ge

Playing with Yourself: 'Rangers of Shadow Deep' vs. 'Sellswords & Spellslingers'

As the year crawls to an end, I'm looking through this blog and noticing a couple of posts I started and never finished. This is one of them. Back in July 2019, I placed the photos on the page, jotted down a few bullet-point placeholder notes, and then never actually went back and wrote anything to post.   The post was meant to be my informal review of Rangers of Shadow Deep after my first game of it with Josh O'Conner, who set it up for us to try in his basement. I think I never finished this post because I was not very impressed with the game but I knew Josh was, and we hadn't been gaming together long enough for me to be sure my candor about the game wouldn't hurt his feelings and sour a budding gaming friendship. I consider Josh more than a gaming friend these days, and so I'll go ahead and post this with some very short notes fleshing out the bullet points I had left as a reminder for myself back in 2019 (at least the one's I can still decipher the

Chainmail: Battle of Emridy Meadows

In my imagination, Chainmail has always been that shadowy precursor to Dungeons & Dragons that I was both intrigued by yet leery of. I loved the idea of a game involving mass battles in a fantasy setting akin to those depicted in the The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings , but I also had a sense that Chainmail , released in 1971 a mere year after I was born, was likely a clunky wargame that would be too frustrating to bother mastering. It also didn't help that my first inkling of its existence was around 1980 or so when I could never dream of amassing the miniature armies needed to play out these massive conflicts. No, back then I was pretty sure Chainmail was the province of grizzled old grognards who had started wargaming before I was even born. Even after my gaming rebirth decades later in 2016, I was fine with letting the dim past remain so, and was more than content during my first couple of years back in the hobby exploring rules of a more recent vintage and managea