Skip to main content

The Battle of Four Armies



On the Saturday evening over Thanksgiving weekend, we managed to get in a couple of skirmishes across my dining room table. John brought a number of his painted miniatures (mostly cavalry and foot soldiers), and we combined them with a variety of figures from my collection so that he could teach me, Jared, and Zach how to play Dragon Rampant. It's only the second time I've played something akin to a "mass battle" game in which you're moving around trays of units rather than individual figures (the first being the castle siege game I played a couple of weeks back at Fall In). While you can't afford to get attached to "characters" as one might in a game such as Song of Blades and Heroes, it's great fun moving large clumps of troops across the terrain and throwing them against an enemy formation.

As for how the battles unfolded, John was quick to the keyboard and already got his after-action report of our first skirmish posted on his blog with lots of great photos, so I encourage you to check that out (see link at bottom of this post). That was one of the unexpected pleasures of the evening: We actually got our very first game completed in about two hours, letting us break for some pizza and then dive right back in, exchanging armies and swapping in several different terrain pieces on the battlefield. The second skirmish lasted about as long, wrapping maybe even a little faster.

Because John worked up the army profiles, I'm going to quote his description of them below:

Undead
Necromancer, two units of mummies, skeleton warriors, skeleton archers and zombies.
Goblinoids
Chieftain and bodyguard, two units of heavy orcs, spear armed night goblins, goblin archers, and reluctant goblin levy.
Men of the White City
Gray cloaked beardy wizard, mounted knights, foot knights, and elven archers.
Men of the Iron hills
Prince and mounted retinue, two units of heavy foot, crossbows, and dwarves.

In the first clash ("Battle of Four Armies"), John and I led the Men of the White City and the Men of the Iron Hills, while Zach and Jared commanded the undead and goblinoid armies, respectively. In the second skirmish ("Battle at the Abandoned Tower" below), we swapped forces, and I led the goblinoids, while John commanded the undead.

Below are the handful of photos I took of the second game (since John did such a great job on his blog with recounting the first), and then I'll share my wife Ellen's wonderful photos snapped earlier in the evening during the first battle.

Battle at the Abandoned Tower

My goblinoid army began the night's second battle staring across the swampy terrain at Jared's Men of the Iron Hills, while John's undead troops squared off with Zach's Men of the White City, whose elven archers quickly moved up onto the tower's lower-level fortifications for the improved cover and easy targets below.

A unit of mummies trudge forward against a withering volley of elven arrows.

In response, I send a tough unit of orcs onto the tower's opposite side to keep from ceding the tower entirely to our opponent. In the meantime, my goblin archers get some nice volleys off against the prince's charging cavalry.


I march some goblins and orcs into the swamps hoping to lure my opponent into crossing swords with me in the muck, but he was too wise or too cowardly. (I claim the latter.)

The orc captain and his guards are about to charge into the action from the rear once it becomes clear the cavalry is about to ride right through his goblin archers.

It took a bit longer than hoped for John's necromancer to inspire his undead troops to finally enjoin the enemy. 


After a laughably long run of bad die rolls by John in this game.

Because you can either laugh or you can...die. As the dice would have it, it ended up being both in John's case.

Ah...that's more like it, Mr. Bones. Time to get up to the front and knock some heads!

Remember that unit of orcs I moved onto the other battlements? The plan from the onset was to use the ladders to come down the other side and disrupt those elven archers. 

The plan succeeded spectacularly well, even to my surprise. The orcs didn't merely rout the archers, they slew them to a one before they could flee from the battlements.


Eventually, though, discretion became the better part of valor, and I started to strategically move my archers, then my orcs, and finally the captain up onto the tower's battlements to fight off the men from a more defensible position.

Unfortunately, the undead troops in both the first and second game of the night proved a bit too brittle, and by the next turn they were routed. I think there was a chance the the orcs could have prevailed, though it would have been uphill from that point, so we decided to call it a night and relinquish the field to the men and dwarves (but not the elves...because, remember, I killed them all).

The First Battle of Four Armies

The following is not a traditional battle report—John did that far better than I could have on his blogbut rather an unchronological series of photographic impressions of the first game. The first dozen or so pictures are by me during the course of play, but the bulk thereafter are Ellen's photos. My wife enjoys popping into our games and snapping some pics of the miniatures, terrain, and us having a general good time. This can happen at any point in the proceedings. Hopefully you enjoy the glimpse they provide into our game!

In this battle we played the opposite armies: John and I played the free men armies, while Jared and Zach played the goblinoid and undead armies, respectively.

This is what the battlefield looked like around the second or third turn of the game.





Zach and Jared, frozen in fear at my onrushing knights!






Ellen's photos carry the day from this point onward, as should be readily apparent by the inarguable jump in quality and artistry.








Spears set for the cavalry charge they face (hence the black cube markers).








Not sure what he's grinning about...he's dead!


Joe and Zach, mortal enemies (for a couple of hours at least).


Our work is done here...let's go harry some orcs.


This unit of mummies was waiting in reserve for the necromancer to summon them onto the battlefield. One of the nice fantasy touches in the game.

I'm sometimes not sure in these games what the difference is between setting an ambush in the woods and simply being slowed to a crawl by "rough terrain."

These knights rode off the battlefield in bloodied glory and unto the lofty heights of Valhalla.











Playing these Knights was a hell of a lot of fun, especially given how beautifully John had painted them.


Dice, snacks, and toy soldiers...what a life!




Throwing fistfuls of dice was a pleasure I had not had before this game.



I think this is what today we call a "target-rich environment."

"Move, you laggards!"






The Necromancer! 


Jared: "So, I'm going to do this..."

John: "Then you leave me no choice but to do that, sir!"
Jared: "Whoa! Whoa! Wait a minute..."









Orcs scale the hillside and start to disperse the elven archers.




"Dwarves! Plug that hole!"


Reinforcements on the way.



"I am the One!"

Four generals dukin' it out.














After the necromancer fled the battlefield, the orcs eventually receded into the night to tend their wounds and hope to exact revenge another day.

(left to right clockwise) John, Joe, Zach, and Jared

John's battle report of the night's first game can be found at his blog, 1,000 Foot General, which with his 
tutorials and battle reports was an early inspiration for me as I explored taking up tabletop miniatures gaming. Lucky for me, I'm now a fan and a friend of John and his work. 

Thoughts

Very much looking forward to getting the chance to play Dragon Rampant again in the near future. I ordered enough 15mm miniatures from the most recent Battle Valor Kickstarter to be able to field four decent-sized armies, and I anticipate it'll be even more fun to field hundreds and hundreds of miniatures at once.

As for the rules, given it was most everyone's first time playing Dragon Rampant, we elected to keep things a little loose with some of the movement and zone-of-control restrictions (e.g., maintaining three inches between friendly units). My dining room table being only three feet wide (though eight feet long), it also made things a smidgen more cramped, also encouraging a little laxity with things like zone of control. When I get my 15mm armies ready for action, a lot of those problems will go away. Now that we've played once and quickly got the hang of the basic mechanics, I find I'm already eager to do a little online investigating for any house rules folks may have developed to boost things like spellcasting a bit; John and I shared the complaint that the fantasy elements could have been a bit more developed and robust. But in the end, those were quibbles and certainly didn't detract from the fun we had clashing across my dining room table.


Comments

  1. Great write up Joe! And as always your in house photographer took some ace shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And she works cheap, too! Loved your blog's take on the evening. Fun to have two blogs come at the same game...

      Delete
  2. Great report, and super photos, Joe! It looks like it was a fun evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris. It's both a fun game and a fun group of guys to play it with. Hoping to get to a HAWKs game very soon!

      Delete
  3. Really good looking game and your other half's photos are spectacular. :) A real pleasure to run through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It was a fun night, and just this year I have finally been able to play "Dragon Rampant" a couple more times since then. It's a fun rule set. Take care!

      Delete
    2. Aye, Dragon Rampant is a good set of rules. I like the activation rules. Takes a while to get used to but it adds a random element to the game which is welcome.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Well-thumbed posts

Take the High Road: Making Cheap and Easy Dirt Roads

I have wanted some good roads to add to my games for a while now. My first attempt was a couple of years ago when my standards were a bit lower and I wasn't sure how much I was interested in investing in this new hobby. I bought some PDFs of cobblestone roads that I sized, printed, and glued to felt. The result was okay, but the way my laser printer  produced the roads ended up being quite reflective to the point of almost being glossy looking. The combination of glue, paper, and felt also meant the roads had a wavy consistency and almost always curled at the edges. I used them once or twice but was never happy with them. My sub-par first attempt at making roads for my games using felt strips, glue, and printed designs. You can see how shiny and how wavy and curled at the edges they turned out. I never felt good about putting them on the table for our games and eventually stopped altogether. I've been meaning to take another crack at making some roads now that I have

Scrum Con IV: In Your Face!

The Second Saturday Scrum Club rejoined the fray on April 8, organizing and hosting Scrum Con IV in Silver Spring, Maryland. Although we ran a surprisingly successful virtual convention in 2021 that took advantage of its online format to invite all sorts of participants we couldn't have otherwise (Dirk the Dice of Grognard Files  in the UK ran a game, and I interviewed wargame/RPG historian Jon Peterson via livestream ), Scrum Con IV marked our return to an in-person format. Because  Scrum Con 2020 ducked right under the pandemic lockdown on the last weekend of February that year, we were anxious to see if anybody would remember us. Turns out any fears were misplaced...because Scrum Con sold out again this year! In fact, every in-person convention we've organized has sold out, but this year's Scrum Con IV was almost 70% sold out of its 225 badges in the very first week, a pace that frankly caught us off-guard. About a week before the show, we had sold enough badges that

Lost Art of D&D No. 2: Games Workshop's Holmes Basic (1977)

After Games Workshop attained the license to print a co-branded edition of TSR's 1977 Dungeons & Dragons basic rules book, they set about putting their own stamp on it, designing a new cover and replacing a number of the illustrations they deemed too crudely drawn for their U.K. market.  The cover art was by John Blanche at the very start of his career as a fantasy illustrator. Blanche went on to be a mainstay at Games Workshop, producing countless illustrations for them. His fannish enthusiasm for the material--as an artist as well as a lifelong gamer--has deservedly made him a favorite over the decades. I first encountered Blanche's work in the David Day compendium, A Tolkien Bestiary (1978), to which he contributed five illustrations that sit comfortably alongside the book's chief illustrator, Ian Miller. I have a special fondness for this book, having coveted it as a child during my incipient Middle Earth fixation. My parent's procured an out-of-print copy of t

Candid Photos From "Conan the Barbarian" (1982)

This post is barely gaming adjacent, but the Conan stories have informed much of my fantasy gaming since my first forays into the hobby. I've seen the John Milius adaptation more times than any other movie (probably over 50 times, though most of those viewings were on VHS or HBO as a teenager). The 1982 Conan  film was the first R rated movie I saw in a movie theater (age 12). The first convention game I ever played in was one in which I played the barbarian himself. The first convention game I ever ran as game master was an adaptation of Howard's "Beyond the Black River." For good or ill, I've spent a lot of time in that fantasy world. When I stumbled on an online trove of about 400 candid photos from various sets of Conan the Barbarian shot by somebody on the crew, it was oddly visceral for me. It generated a warm feeling getting to see these actors and sets from new angles, both in character and out, in situ and behind the scenes. Seeing Sandahl Bergman, Ge

Playing with Yourself: 'Rangers of Shadow Deep' vs. 'Sellswords & Spellslingers'

As the year crawls to an end, I'm looking through this blog and noticing a couple of posts I started and never finished. This is one of them. Back in July 2019, I placed the photos on the page, jotted down a few bullet-point placeholder notes, and then never actually went back and wrote anything to post.   The post was meant to be my informal review of Rangers of Shadow Deep after my first game of it with Josh O'Conner, who set it up for us to try in his basement. I think I never finished this post because I was not very impressed with the game but I knew Josh was, and we hadn't been gaming together long enough for me to be sure my candor about the game wouldn't hurt his feelings and sour a budding gaming friendship. I consider Josh more than a gaming friend these days, and so I'll go ahead and post this with some very short notes fleshing out the bullet points I had left as a reminder for myself back in 2019 (at least the one's I can still decipher the

Chainmail: Battle of Emridy Meadows

In my imagination, Chainmail has always been that shadowy precursor to Dungeons & Dragons that I was both intrigued by yet leery of. I loved the idea of a game involving mass battles in a fantasy setting akin to those depicted in the The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings , but I also had a sense that Chainmail , released in 1971 a mere year after I was born, was likely a clunky wargame that would be too frustrating to bother mastering. It also didn't help that my first inkling of its existence was around 1980 or so when I could never dream of amassing the miniature armies needed to play out these massive conflicts. No, back then I was pretty sure Chainmail was the province of grizzled old grognards who had started wargaming before I was even born. Even after my gaming rebirth decades later in 2016, I was fine with letting the dim past remain so, and was more than content during my first couple of years back in the hobby exploring rules of a more recent vintage and managea